- Profile Description
- Vison and Mission
- Graduate Profile
Name of Study Program
Dr. Setiabudhi Street, No. 229 Bandung, 40154
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
Year and Decree of Establishment
1954 / Nomor 35742
Year and Decree of Accreditation
No. 08860/Ak-X-S1-008/IKBRBK/VII/2006; Nilai A
No. 016/BAN-PT/Ak-XIV/S1/VII/2011; NIlai A (375)
No. 0940 /SK/BAN-PT/Akred/M/XI/2016; Nilai A (376)
No. 8841 /SK/BAN-PT/Ak-PPJ/S/VI/2021; Nilai A
The Department of Civic Education at the Undergraduate Level (S1) was established on November 10, 1954 based on the Decree of the Minister of Education and Teaching Number 35742 dated September 1, 1954. Bachelor Program of Civic Education level (S1) at UPI is the first Civics Department in Indonesia. The establishment of this department was based on the thoughts and considerations of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia which were inseparable from the considerations for establishing a Teacher Education College (PTPG). Until now, the number of BP-CED study programs has reached 120 study programs spread throughout the country with very diverse conditions. The name (nomenclature) of the undergraduate department at UPI is currently unchanged, namely Civic Education.
The field of study of Civic Education as a multi-faceted field, in the sense of being multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary, requires fields of study and expertise from lecturers who come from various scientific disciplines, especially the two main disciplines, namely Politics and Law, in addition to other social science disciplines, humanities, educational sciences, which is packaged scientifically, pedagogically and psychologically using an integrative approach (integrated knowledge system). The scientific expertise possessed by the Civic Education Department includes the fields of civics, politics, law, sociology, economics, state administration, state administration, political communication, civic education, social studies education, values and moral education, and general education.
Historically, The Department/Civic Education Study Program (the term Department refers to the UPI Statute/PP No. 15 of 2014 concerning UPI as a Legal Entity College) is one of the oldest departments within the Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia. This department was born almost simultaneously with the birth of the Teacher Education College (PTPG) as the forerunner of the birth of IKIP Bandung (now UPI) where PTPG was born on October 20, 1954. The establishment of the Civics Department was based on the Decree of the Minister of Teaching and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia Number 35742 dated 1 September 1954 under the name of the State Law Economics Department.
Academically, The Department/Prodi of Civic Education (abbreviated as Civics) is an educational discipline with a multidisciplinary approach with political science, law and education as the main study substance and Pancasila as the content and core values as well as the nation's fundamental principles which are organized and transacted through an educational process systematically. scientific, pedagogical and psychological for the purpose of national education, namely citizens who believe, have noble character, are intelligent, skilled, creative, independent, democratic, responsible, and have a sense of nationality and love for the homeland and Pancasila. The basic norms (grundnorm and central of believe) of Civics are Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia, supported by all elements of the social sciences, culture and history of the nation's struggle and the spirit of the Proclamation of Indonesian Independence as well as science, technology and religious values as a characteristic of Indonesian people's life.
Civics is a synthetic discipline or Integrated Knowledge System as part of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary and even transdisciplinary studies from social sciences and humanities as well as religious and national values. To develop Civics as an educational discipline, Civics studies are supported by the philosophy of knowledge as power and education as power for educational purposes. The term used abroad, especially in Europe (Continental Europe) and America (Anglo Saxon) and even Asia Pacific is "Civic Education and Citizenship Education". The basic ideas of Civics discipline education are formulated with the formulation of various generalizations that are tested for their level of truth and high national spirit in the life of the nation and state as well as the dynamics of globalization. Thus, this Civics discipline education will be academically accountable in its development.
"Become a Pioneer and Excellent Study Programs in Producing Educators and Expert Civic Educators who have a sense of Nationality, Patriotic, and Pancasila as a fundamental value in 2025"
Civic Education carries out the missions as follows :
- Conducting bachelor, master and doctoral programs of Civic Education which is oriented towards mastering the knowledge of citizenship, politics, law, economy, nationality, the history of the nation's struggle, values, morals, culture and philosophy of Pancasila, and research in line with the development of national and global social and political life.
- Conducting studies on the pillars of nationality which include Pancasila, the 1945 Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia (UUD NRI 1945), the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI), and Bhinneka Tunggal Ika with the problem using an inter-, multi-and transdisciplinary approach.
- Conducting studies on Civic Education as an integrated discipline, synthetic discipline, or education in disciplines and its application for developing expertise in the field of Civic Education.
- Building cooperation and networks in the context of organizing and developing Bachelor of Civic Education in order to play a role and develop as experts or academics who are able to solve complex civic education problems through interdisciplinary multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches.
- Conducting training, structuring, and consulting services for Civic Education programs for the society.
Prospective Civic Educators (Teachers)
Persons who have the competence to educate, teach, guide, direct, train, assess, evaluate, and develop Civic education and learning at the Junior High School/equivalent and Senior High School/equivalent levels.
Author of Books/Articles in the field of Civic Education
Person who has the competence to write issues related to the substance and learning of civic education, primary, secondary and higher education Civics curriculum including legal and political issues related to citizenship.
Citizenship Entrepreneurship (Civic Entrepreneurship)
People who have competence in conducting political surveys, legal advocacy, public policy, ICT literacy, Civic Community Development (NGO and INGO), state defense, youth and community organizations.
To achieve the vision, mission, goals, and objectives above, the Civic Education Department has designed an achievement strategy as follows.
- Increasing the role of lecturers as mentors and facilitators in student scientific achievement.
- Developing curriculum and learning models that are relevant to the development of science and technology, the development of the IQF and the development of the UPI curriculum. since 2013.
- Developing democratic lectures in creating an academic climate.
- Cultivate scientific discussions, seminars, workshops, general stadiums and others which are attended by the entire Civic Education academic community, Alumni and the general public.
- Provide briefing to students who will carry out PPL.
- Provide briefing to graduates who graduate to provide information about job opportunities in education and others.
- Involving teachers from Short, Medium, and Long Term Strategies (to be formulated)
- Facilitating students with various sources of relevant and up-to-date teaching materials since 2010.
- Facilitating the development of student creativity aimed at the formation of nation and character building.
- Develop a research culture in accordance with the research roadmap of the civics education department and in accordance with the competence of lecturers' areas of expertise (KBK) and involve students since 2010.
- Conducting cross fertilization in education, research, and community service activities in strengthening the excellence of Civics began in 2011.
- Cooperating with relevant agencies in the field of higher education tridharma, both on a national and international scale.
Heads of BP-CED have successively served in top management positions of the association headquartered in Bandung and have played a major role in the development of the association, which so far have had 22 chapters spread throughout Indonesia (from Aceh to Papua). Furthermore, BP-CED has successfully initiated the establishment of Indonesian forum for Civic Education study program which was declared in the city of Sabang in August 2019. Members of the forum are all civic education study programs in Indonesia, 104 in number, and in the forum, the head of BP-CED has served as the chairperson (ex officio).
To date, BP-CED has also collaborated with a number of state institutions such as the People’s Consultative Assembly (MPR), People’s Representative Council (DPR), Constitutional Court (MK), Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), etc. It has also cooperated with some partner universities both nationally and internationally (Appendix-A6). Such cooperation has been in the forms of joint seminars and international conferences with the outputs of internationally indexed conference proceedings.